Please sign up by clicking HERE – you’ll be glad you did!
Incense. Matches. Batteries. Monogrammed stickers with the initial ‘K’ on them. Recipes I want to try. Hmmm. Where is it?? Dried white sage for getting rid of bad chi. A padlock. Keys to who-knows-what. Ahhh-HA! There it is: the troubleshooting manual for our dishwasher in the junk drawer. The damn machine overflowed and as pretty as the kitchen floor looked covered in 3 feet of sparkly bubbles, it wasn’t exactly ideal. According to this manual, there are certain things that probably will go haywire with our dishwasher, even though it’s a good one.
Much like our Whirlpool, your fat loss program could be outstanding, however there are a handful of speedbumps on the road to a lean bod that will eventually trip most people up. Luckily for you, I’ve been in this game long enough (read: made most of the mistakes for you) that I gotcha covered. Once we work these kinks out, you’ll be bringing sexy back in no time!
|Um, that’s it?
So you’re hungry, eh? Assuming you are on a responsible nutrition plan that isn’t starving you (because that would be silly and unnecessary) then a little bit of hunger here and there can be normal. Lets discuss some basic ways to squelch the hunger and then I’ll give you a top secret tip.
- First – veggies. How many vegetables are you eating? I’m always shocked to see people post pictures of their food and all that is on the plate is their serving of protein and maybe a few nuts or ½ cup of brown rice. Um, I’d end up chewing my own arm off. Eat your vegetables friends! Not only does your body love and need those juicy little phytonutrients but vegetables help keep you full! A cup or two of some green veggies with every meal will do wonders – not only for your health but also for your growling stomach.
- Second – protein. Most people that complain to me of hunger aren’t getting enough protein. I recommend aiming for 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body weight.
Gobbling vegetables and plenty of high quality protein, but you’re still hungry?
- Meet your new BFF – fiber. Most people don’t get nearly enough fiber in their diet and could benefit from supplementation. Check out this video and fiber supplement from my friends over at Metabolic Effect. Jade does an excellent job at explaining exactly why fiber supplements can be very beneficial for people trying to lose bodyfat. It can raise the glycemic index of your food and helps promote a feeling of fullness.
- Stick to your guns, sip some sparkling water and have a good time without the food/drinks.
- Take a few bites and a few sips. Enough to get a taste and enjoy, without going hogwild.
- Indulge. If you choose to throw caution to the wind once in awhile, it’s cool, but – don’t do it just because it’s there. You’ve worked too hard for too long to eat & drink a bunch of garbage simply based on it’s availability.
The rule: Take a bite and if it’s not absolutely in-frickin’-credible then put it down; it’s not worth it. Hold out for something that is. Social events and relationships are very important. They are moments! You don’t always have to say no but do pick and choose when to give in so that you get maximum enjoyment out of it without wasting an off-plan meal on sub-par food.
If that all proves to be too much hoopla for you, fast all day and just eat dinner.
I’m a firm believer that most people suffer from wild cravings while trying to lose bodyfat because they don’t take the time to make sure that their food tastes amazing. If you eat bland crappy food it’s only natural that you’ll want something more. We’ve already discussed the importance of making your food delicious so beyond that, lets talk secret weapons:
My friend Jill Coleman and her team swear by this chocolate drink to kill cravings and personally I love it and can attest for it’s effectiveness! Add 1-2 TBSP unsweetened organic shade-grown cocoa powder in a mug of hot water. Add Stevia if you’d like. Stir. Drink.
If that doesn’t work, eat one small square (and no, a small square is not 6″ x 4″) of 85% cacao dark chocolate and then go do something. Take a bath, read a book, or go for a walk.
There you have it friends. Ways to battle hunger, cravings, social situations, travel and the food ruts. In the next installment, I’ll chat about a few more of the most common problems I see people face while trying to lose bodyfat.
In the interim, lets discuss! Do you have any secret tips for dealing with hunger or cravings? How do you stay on track whether you’re out of town or out on the town? Is there anything you’d like me to discuss in the next installment? Hit me up below!
Sign up for my newsletter HERE